Southern Arizona Ranch for Sale | 101 E. Papago Springs Rd. Elgin, AZ 85611
- 19,925+/- Acres | 40+/- Acres Headquarters
- Three Homes | Horse Property | Private Forest Access
RANCH LIVING IN SOUTHERN ARIZONA
Originally homesteaded in 1918, Open Cross Ranch is an authentic cattle ranch currently operating on 19,925+/- Acres. Specifically located in the Canelo Hills of Elgin, Arizona it is adjacent to Sonoita, a crossroads community south of Tucson, Arizona. Secluded but not remote, it is just minutes from the best steak house in Santa Cruz County and Only 45 minutes from an International Airport. Three miles off paved AZ State Hwy-83 makes for easy access to the Headquarters. The complex has a beautifully updated main house and two charming guest homes, which are fully furnished, on 40+/- private deeded acres making it an ideal location for ranch living. The tack room, barn, shop, corral, water-lot and horse trap all have personal private access to The Coronado National Forest. The mild climate and topography are agreeable for a large range of outdoor activities. On average, there are 284 sunny days per year in Elgin with summer temperatures ranging from 70-90°F and winter temperatures from 30- 60°F. The views at Open Cross Ranch are breathtaking in every season!
ONE OF THE BEST CATTLE RANCHES IN SOUTHERN ARIZONA
The Open Cross Ranch consists of two USFS Allotments; The Papago and the O’Donnell with an adjacent deeded property of 40.92+/- Acres. There are twenty-six pastures with six sets of corrales and over thirty cattle ponds. Winter feed supplement is not required and running water makes the ranch a highly sought after and productive cattle operation. Plentiful forage of native grasses and browse are in great condition throughout and as Arizona Game & Fish unit 35B there is excellent Cous Deer habitat as well as Mule Deer, Javalina, Coyote, Fox, Bear and Mountain Lion. The Merns Quail are abundant in the oak woodland parts of the ranch and considered some of the best populations in the United States.
This turn-key ranch currently runs 335 cross-bred cows and 35 Angus-plus bulls. Livestock and management are available by separate agreement.
TWO USFS GRAZING ALLOTMENTS – 19,925+/- Acres
- Papago Allotment (#334) – 12,700+/- Acres
- O’Donnell Allotment (#332) – 7,225+/- Acres
CARRYING CAPACITY – *370 COW/CALF
- Papago Allotment (#334) – 250 Cow/Calf (*150 head possible increase at the end of the year for a total of 520)
- O’Donnell Allotment (#332) – 120 Cow/Calf
WATER – COMBINED USFS LEASE & PRIVATE
- Wells: USFS & Private – 14 total (3 shared)
- Storage tanks – 21 total
- Cattle ponds – 34 total
- Water troughs – 49 total
RANCH HEADQUARTERS ON PRIVATE LAND – 40+/- Acres
- Main House (2,292+/- sf) – 1 bedroom, 1.5 bath, office, den
- The Canelo Casita (920+/- sf) – 2 bedroom, 1 bath
- The Homestead (1,424+/- sf) – 2 bedroom, 1 bath, office
- The Tack Room (110+/- sf) – Built in cabinets, saddle racks
- The Utility Shop (806+/- sf) – Built in storage, work benches
- The Barn (1,935+/- sf) – 1 storage room, 1 material shed
- Horse Property – 1 large water lot 60’x100’, 1 pipe pen 60’x60’ with 28’x12’ shade, 30+/-Acre trap
For More Information
Cell: (928) 830-9127
*This information was obtained from sources deemed to be reliable but is not guaranteed by the broker. Prospective buyers should check all the facts to their satisfaction. The property is subject to prior sale, price change, or withdraw.